- Best Sellers
- Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 78 - Carnival of the Animals Artist(s): The Utah Symphony conducted by Abravanel - Alexander Schreiner, organ...
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
One to Live With
I purchased this CD from HDTT a couple of years ago and have enjoyed listening to the Symphony (forget the trashy Carnival with its horribly twee narrations) very much. I once owned the Westminster lp and always found Abravanel's reading one to live with rather than one to knock one's socks off . Alexander Schreiner's Mormon Tabernacle organ is distantly balanced so one misses the thrill of the "full works" C-major chord that signals the start of the finale. Slightly dry sound but an intelligent, well-played version that makes a welcome change from the ultrasonic versions from Dupre, Dutoit, Stern and the like
Great Recording Ruined w/Voiceover
First off - the recording sounds spectacular (quality). Unfortunately, the 1950s instructional narration and animal sounds mixed over the music at the beginning of *every* track starting at track 3 renders this version unlistenable for me. If you have kids and want them to discover this wonderful piece of music, perhaps this is a great way to spend $20. Otherwise, I'd skip it.
An olde but a goodie. Great transfers
I bought this mainly for the Carnaval des Animaux, as I already have a hires copy of the Symphony (by the Minnesotans), but this version, among the forest of recordings of this work over the past 60 years, is also very well recorded (and with low tape hiss) and performed. Not surprising, as this dates from the early years of stereo, when the engineers were still excited by the new technology. The Carnaval is well done, though the vocal intros can be a tad irritating. (easily editable!)
Saint Saens Symphony No. 3
Very Good, Thank you.
Title: Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 78 - Carnival of the Animals
Artist(s): The Utah Symphony conducted by Abravanel - Alexander Schreiner, organ
Vienna State Opera Orchestra Conducted by Scherchen - Narrator Garry Moore
Recording Info: Sym No 3 Recorded 1959 by Westminster
Carnival of the Animals Recorded 1957 by Westminster
Transferred from a 15ips tapes
1. Part I Adagio - Allegro Moderato - Poco Adagio 18:55
2. Part II Allegro Moderato - Presto - Maestoso - Allegro 15:29
3. Introduction And Royal March Of The Lions (Introduction Et Marche Royale Du Lion) 2:23
4. Cocks And Hens (Poules Et Coqs) 1:13
5. Wild Jackass (Hemiones) 1:02
6. Turtles (Tortues) 1:56
7. Elephants (L Elephant) 2:13
8. Kangaroos (Kangourous) 1:26
9. The Aquarium (Aquarium) 2:44
10. The Mules (Personnages A Longues Oreilles) :53
11. The Cuckoo In The Woods (Le Coucou Au Fond De Bois) 2:30
12. The Bird (Voliere) 1:52
13. The Pianists (Pianistes) 2:08
14. The Fossils (Fossiles) 1:37
15. The Swan (Le Cygne) 2:47
16, Grand Finale (Final) 2:00